Re: [Xen-users] Cross-compiling tool stack for ARM

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:00:59, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 15:56 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Xen but am comfortable with ARM virtualization. I'm
> > trying to build a system running Xen on Vexpress TC2 board, with a
> > single guest.
> >
> > From what I've learned so far, I should build u-boot, Xen, Dom0
> > guest, Xen tool stack, and a DomU guest to get there. I've followed
> > Wiki pages [1][2] to built u-boot and Xen.
>
> I take it you haven't seen
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/CrossCompiling
> which goes into some detail about cross compiling the tools?

Yes, I did see them. But does it mean that it's a mandatory step? It's
quite tempting for a user to just download and use a binary distributor
for cross compilation tool chain.

> > The tool chain that I'm using is from Linaro, and I verified that it
> > doesn't come with any '.pc' files. Could you suggest a way to
> > proceed with the compilation?
>
> As well as a toolchain you will also need a cross compile environment
> with all of the appropriate library's development headers, which should
> include the .pc files. The link above covers setting up a suitable
> Ubuntu cross environment.

I managed to get by the build problems posted earlier by installing ARM
tool chain using APT, but later hit the wall because libaio isn't
available. So things look more like I'd have to build the tool chain
myself. If the whole build expects a freshly built tool chain, I think
the Wiki must explicitly state that.

The Wiki page reads the target chroot must match the runtime system. So
I take it that I've to use the Saucy Salamander as my dom0 (i.e. build
it from sources), with a root file system created following instructions
from another page.

Silly question: what if I want to build a bare minimum system (maybe
headless)? Can I have a dom0 guest built from mainline Linux master,
with a root file system built as described in the Wiki?

Meanwhile, I'll try to follow the wiki to build my tool chain and root
file system.

--
Jeenu

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered
in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ,
Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782