Re: [Xen-users] xen console dimensions

On 2014-06-24 08:05, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 08:01 -0400, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
>>> You say it doesn't work whatever TERM= you use, does that extend to
>>> setting TERM to whatever the containing terminal is using? It seems like
>>> that should be the one case which ought to always work...
>> Even when I set TERM to match what the terminal emulator sets itself,
>> things don't work.  However, other things that depend on ANSI escape
>> sequences working correctly (like colors and frames) work correctly
>> under this case.
>
> Yeah, how very strange.
>
>>> TBH both xenconsle and terminal emulation are things which are mostly a
>>> mystery to me. If someone who understood either (especially terminal
>>> emulation side) wanted to dig in and figure out what is happening then
>>> that would be awesome.
>>>
>>> I suppose the other alternative is that the in guest kernel hvc driver
>>> is interfering with escape codes somehow. That doesn't seem very likely
>>> either though.
>> Based on the fact that control sequences work correctly, I think that
>> the guest side is probably limiting the terminal width by default.  I
>> hadn't thought to test this before, but I wonder if the command 'resize'
>> works correctly?  IIRC the hvc devices are treated just like VT's under
>> Linux and NetBSD, and on both platforms the default when they can't get
>> information about the attached device is to set the terminal width to 80
>> columns.  I'll look into this and report back.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Ian.

I've checked, and it does appear that running resize works to correct
things on Linux, I don't know about NetBSD however (I don't have any
NetBSD guests to test with right now).  The issue is that COLUMNS and
LINES aren't getting set, which makes things assume 80x25 terminal
geometry (for compatibility reasons).