[Xen-users] CPU scheduling and allocated all VCPU.

Hi,

  We have lots of virtual machines running our Oracle Virtual Manager setup ( Oracle Linux with Xen) on x86.

When I've setup new VMs I've always assigned CPUs to them instead of sharing them because all our VMs run RHEL and Oracle 11g.  In my opinion this ensures they have all CPU cycles dedicated without any chance they'll be starved.  Their combined SGA and PGA usually total 3Gb and I've allocated 4Gb of dedicated RAM.

Our DBA team, who were new to XEN and visualization seem to have a heightened interest in XEN and have asked me this:

** Why don't we allocated 32 VCPUS to all virtual machines so that they can share all resources and when they need CPUs they can access those that were sitting idle ** Their logic was VCPUs could be better distributed like this.

My question to you is what do you think?

Thanks, Sophie