Re: [Xen-users] Cheap IOMMU hardware and ECC support importance

Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 07/04/2014 06:25 PM, lee wrote:
>> Nuno MagalhÃes <nunomagalhaes@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> This may be irrelevant to even mention, but most stuff i find on The
>>> Net is usually outdated by a few years, so i always try to check a)
>>> when was it written and b) by who and what's their authority on the
>>> matter  (subjective). Plus, it seems to me ZFS is not that well-known
>>> to linux folk (i included) so there may be a little chest-thumping
>>> going on since ZFS is mostly a Solaris thing (as is dtrace...). Dunno
>>
>> I find it very relevant since I need some good documentation before I
>> try out ZFS, and that documentation needs to be up to date.  I haven't
>> really looked yet, but that I didn't come across such documentation with
>> what I've been looking for yet makes me wonder if there even is one.
>
> The man page is fully up to date.

I haven't installed it yet, so I don't have the man page.

> And there is plenty of other documentation directly linked from the
> landing page of the ZFS-on-Linux site. The one the LMGTFY "I'm feeling
> lucky" link I sent earlier gets you to.

Illumos ZFS Documentation
ZFS on Linux User Guide
Solaris ZFS Administration Guide

ZFS on Linux for Lustre
ZFS on Linux for Lustre
Sequoia's 55PB Lustre+ZFS Filesystem
Sequoia and the ZFS OSD

I've never used Solaris, I don't know what Illumos, Lustre and Sequoia
are, and the documentation for Linux is "only" a user guide, and it's
two years old.

I haven't read the guide yet, perhaps it's good.  That it's two years
old doesn't mean it's up to date, and I have no way to tell what of it
still applies and what not.

>> I just have a bad feeling about ZFS.  That it has theoretical advantages
>> and may work fine on Solaris and perhaps on Linux if you know it well
>> enough isn't sufficient.  It's not even supported in Debian despite
>> Debian has a package for pretty much everything.
>
> See previous comment about Debian induced solipsism. Thinking that
> anything not in the Debian repository is not worth using is analogous
> to thinking that something must be true because you read it on the
> internet.
>
> If you are at that level of advancement when it comes to systems
> administration you need to progress further first, at least to the
> point where you are comfortable with straying off the straight and
> narrow.

You might be at a "level" at which, if a single person suggest that you
move a mission critical thing from application A which you know to work
to another application B which you don't know at all, which appears to
be somewhat poorly documented and which provides an uncertain advantage,
you jump right at testing it even though just testing it means you must
endanger the mission critical thing.  I have never been at that "level"
and don't want to go there.

I don't seriously think that you are, either, because too much of what
you're saying makes sense.  I merely refuse to go to that "level".

Don't worry --- I'll do some testing when I feel like it, when I have
the time and when I found a non-dangerous way to do it.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.