Re: [Xen-users] Cheap IOMMU hardware and ECC support importance

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 17:36:10 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 16:36:30 +0000

On 07/06/2014 12:04 PM, lee wrote:
Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 07/04/2014 06:25 PM, lee wrote:
Nuno MagalhÃes <nunomagalhaes@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

This may be irrelevant to even mention, but most stuff i find on The
Net is usually outdated by a few years, so i always try to check a)
when was it written and b) by who and what's their authority on the
matter  (subjective). Plus, it seems to me ZFS is not that well-known
to linux folk (i included) so there may be a little chest-thumping
going on since ZFS is mostly a Solaris thing (as is dtrace...). Dunno

I find it very relevant since I need some good documentation before I
try out ZFS, and that documentation needs to be up to date.  I haven't
really looked yet, but that I didn't come across such documentation with
what I've been looking for yet makes me wonder if there even is one.

The man page is fully up to date.

I haven't installed it yet, so I don't have the man page.

And there is plenty of other documentation directly linked from the
landing page of the ZFS-on-Linux site. The one the LMGTFY "I'm feeling
lucky" link I sent earlier gets you to.

Illumos ZFS Documentation
ZFS on Linux User Guide
Solaris ZFS Administration Guide

ZFS on Linux for Lustre
ZFS on Linux for Lustre
Sequoia's 55PB Lustre+ZFS Filesystem
Sequoia and the ZFS OSD

I've never used Solaris, I don't know what Illumos, Lustre and Sequoia
are, and the documentation for Linux is "only" a user guide, and it's
two years old.

That doesn't mean it's deprecated. Commands and features in ZFS are largely unchanged since then and the differences are irrelevant for people who just want to use it in new installations.

I haven't read the guide yet, perhaps it's good.  That it's two years
old doesn't mean it's up to date, and I have no way to tell what of it
still applies and what not.

It doesn't mean it's out of date, either.