Re: [Xen-users] domU page fault handling

On Sat, 2014-07-12 at 05:15 +0200, TCHANA Alain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know where (in Xen or Linux source code) a domU page
> fault is treated in a Xen (version Xen 4.2).

4.2 is quite old to be asking development question of. You should look
at least at 4.4 and at mainline kernel trees.

>  Is it treated by:
>
> 1) the domU operating system do_page_fault() routine, in
> linux-source-xxx/arch/x86/mm/fault.c.
> In this case, how does the modification of domU page tables are
> possible since a domU is not allowed to update them.

These updates happen via the usual hypercall mechanisms.

> or
>
> 2) the hypervisor do_page_fault() routine, in xen/arch/x86/traps.c.
> In this case, how does the domU maintains its internal page fault
> stats.

Xen will take the original h/w page fault here and, if it is for the
guest, send it onwards by injecting it into the guest.

Ian.