Re: [Xen-users] Cheap IOMMU hardware and ECC support importance

Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Same thing that happens if you lose your GPG passphrase - you lose
>>> whatever was encrypted with it.
>>
>> That's a problem.  It happened to me with gpg passphrases.
>
> If you are not up to remembering a passphrase, that pretty much
> rules out any and all encryption for you. :(

It's always possible to forget it.  I could write it down on paper, but
paper is very volatile.

>>> Depends on how the backup service works. Many have a deamon that
>>> monitors directories you specify and uploads changes.
>>
>> Then I won't be able to encrypt them with gpg.
>
> Yes you can. You can, for example, set up lsyncd to monitor the
> encrypted directory, rather than the mountpoint, and sync encrypted
> files to an alternate location (local or remote). The backup
> daemon never needs to see the plain text files.

I'd still have to encrypt them.  Other than that, yes, maybe if I had a
database of all files telling some system that encrypts and uploads them
which files have changed, and if I had something that monitors all files
in some useful way, it may be possible.  I don't have such a system,
though, and no remote place to store files at.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.