Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 for FreeBSD or Illumos

On 07/23/2014 01:14 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 07/23/2014 12:09 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:

On July 22, 2014 5:24:07 PM GMT+01:00, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Anybody know if we're every going to see Dom0 support
for either FreeBSD
          or Illumos?  It sure would be nice to be able to run Xen
over ZFS.

If the primary motivation for FreeBSD or Illumos is ZFS, the Linux ZFS
implementation works very well for me. I use it in dom0 and have my VM
images on zvols, with CIFS and NFS shares also exported from dom0 and
mounted in domUs.

Hi Gordon,

That's the primary motivation.  I'd like to move from Xen+md+LVM+DRBD to
Xen+ZFS+DRBD for a couple of high-availability virtual machines running
on a small cluster.

Secondary motivation is getting more concerned by the development
directions of Linux (monolithic systemd, redhat domination of the linux
world, that sort of thing) - less sure that I want to keep our cluster
on Debian, or Linux - and the illumos world seems to be getting real as
a serious 3rd open-source Unix platform (OpenIndiana and SmartOS look
particularly sweet).  illumos has ZFS but no Xen (we need full
paravirtualization for our older machines) and no equivalent of DRBD.
FreeBSD has ZFS and HAST but no Xen Dom0. NetBSD seems to have Xen Dom0
(maybe slightly old, support seems questionable), but no ZFS.  Sigh...

I certainly relate to concerns over the direction of Linux, especially systemd, which I don't see as bringing anything meaningfully useful to the table when it comes to replacing SysV init.

On the other hand, while I am a RH user myself (for preference), I don't think RH is particularly dominating it, with Ubuntu becoming increasingly ubiquitous.

I've been a bit scared by ZFS on Linux - at least the development web
site makes it looks like the software is all beta, with not a lot of
progress toward a real 1.0 release - gives off kind of a "not ready for
prime time" feel.

Version numbers are increasingly meaningless. ZoL was announced as production ready at version 0.6.1.

What platform are you running, and what's been your
sense of readiness for production use?

I have been using it without problems since back when KQ Infotech released the POSIX ZoL layer a few years ago (based on 0.5.x), before ZoL project itself had a POSIX layer ready, and I've never had any problems or data loss, which is more than I can say for a lot of other FS-es I have used in that time.

I use EL6, CentOS and Scientific Linux.

Gordan