Re: [Xen-users] mount DomU root fs via. NFS

On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 18:03 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:

> And I've in my guest configuration:

>   vif = [ "script=vif-nat,ip=192.168.1.1" ]
>   extra = "... root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=my.ip.add.ress:/path/to/root ..."

I've just setup NAT on a random x86 Xen box I had (I don't think the
arch should matter) and things seem to be working ok from the guest.
Other than ip_forward=1 and the iptables run all I had to do was
correctly configure the ip address within the guest.

One thing I tripped over was the need to setup the default gateway/route
from within the guest. Once I set that to the IP of the vifX.Y device
(127 more than the guest internal one, so 192.168.1.128 here) then it
worked ok.

That made me come back and look here where I notice that you don't seem
to have the ip= option which I would expect for an NFS root setup. Note
that the ip= in the vif stanza is only about the *host* configuration
associated with that vif (i.e. the dom0 routing tables etc), the virtual
Ethernet device still needs to be configured within the guest. I did it
using /etc/network/interfaces but I suppose for nfsroot it is done
differently.

Also I presume "my.ip.add.ress" is the server and not the guest? (the
"my" makes me wonder).

Ian.