Re: [Xen-users] mount DomU root fs via. NFS

  • To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeenu Viswambharan <Jeenu.Viswambharan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 15:00:43 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 14:01:34 +0000

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 13:11:22, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 18:03 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
>
> > And I've in my guest configuration:

> >   vif = [ "script=vif-nat,ip=192.168.1.1" ]
> >   extra = "... root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=my.ip.add.ress:/path/to/root ..."
>
> I've just setup NAT on a random x86 Xen box I had (I don't think the
> arch should matter) and things seem to be working ok from the guest.
> Other than ip_forward=1 and the iptables run all I had to do was
> correctly configure the ip address within the guest.
>
> One thing I tripped over was the need to setup the default
> gateway/route from within the guest. Once I set that to the IP of the
> vifX.Y device (127 more than the guest internal one, so 192.168.1.128
> here) then it worked ok.
>
> That made me come back and look here where I notice that you don't
> seem to have the ip= option which I would expect for an NFS root
> setup. Note that the ip= in the vif stanza is only about the *host*
> configuration associated with that vif (i.e. the dom0 routing tables
> etc), the virtual Ethernet device still needs to be configured within
> the guest. I did it using /etc/network/interfaces but I suppose for
> nfsroot it is done differently.

Ah, I was under the impression that the vif stanza was configuring
interface address for the guest!

Dom0 gets IP address using DHCP (I've ip=dhcp in Dom0 command line). Can
vif be configured to get IP address via. DHCP too, rather than assigning
a static one?

Later, with NAT, I suppose the guest is on a private network, and I can
pass a sensible IP address/netmask/gateway via. ip= parameter to DomU?
Otherwise, I suppose I can as well use ip=dhcp for DomU instead?

> Also I presume "my.ip.add.ress" is the server and not the guest? (the
> "my" makes me wonder).

Yes, it's the NFS server IP address.

Thanks.

--
Jeenu

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered
in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ,
Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782