[Xen-users] XenServer 6.2 + GPU Passthrough (GF100GL + GF200GL)

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brian Menges <bmenges@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:11:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:13:03 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=january; d=gogrid.com; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Thread-Topic:Thread-Index:Date:Message-ID:Accept-Language:Content-Language:X-MS-Has-Attach:X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:x-originating-ip:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; b=aDpblczOep0MHUbqFQUzgYOIbRNSpP+wog8ML/SPrKDMnQ7FLz+RuPVKtn5p4TdONcM28H+N/MxeO2xRI8gryL+9oV6H4pFoh83AX6drSn46pTSJS568anCyPAM3L2xF;

So I've got an HP Z800 running the 1100 W PSU decked out with an ATI 5450
(local display), Quadro FX 5800 (GPU assigned to a Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
instance) and now a Quadro 4000; previously a Quadro 5000.

I've tried passing through either the Quadro 4000 or 5000 to guest VMs and in
all situations, my entire system just flat out dies (hard lock, no input, no
display, no warning, no errors, nothing logged). Hard cycle it, system returns.
This has happened with and without running my Windows VM (which has the FX 5800
GPU assigned to it).

I've tried this now with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS. Is there a problem
doing gpu passthrough to a linux vm? Or perhaps a problem doing gpu passthrough
with two different chipset graphics cards? Are there any debugging flags that I
might enable or try?

While using only my Windows vm and the FX 5800 the system runs fine. I've left
the Quadro 4000 installed for the moment (the Quadro 5000 is resting on my desk
for now). The PSU has enough power to support both GPUs so I'm looking for
other potential issues.

- Brian Menges

The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain
confidential and legally privileged material. It is solely for the use of the
person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination, or action taken in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.