[Xen-users] xl save/restore command

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Melanie Desaive <desaive@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:04:40 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:12:12 +0000

Hello everybody,

I am currently trying to figure out, what the xl commands "save/restore" are exactly doing in case I leave the domain running after issuing the save command.

I tested the following szenario:

---

Saving domain with "xl save -c <domain> <statefile>"

After completion creating a new file on domU.

Destroying domU

Restore domU with "xl restore <statefile>" -> The new file disappeared from domU.

Shutdown domU

Recreate domU from configfile with "xl create <configfile> -> The file is back again.

---

Does the save command checkpoint the domUs filesystems so that it can be used to create kind of a snapshot?

Can someone point me to some in depth documentation or maybe give a short summary, what the command is actually doing?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Melanie
---