[Xen-users] Passthrough of PCIe RAID card

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mike Reardon <mule@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:53:43 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:54:59 +0000

Hello,

I am curious if I add a PCIe RAID card to my system, if Xen will allow me to pass it through to a domU so that the guest can have native disk operations.

The domU in question is a Windows HVM guest that I am using as a PVR. I tried using the GplPv drivers in windows but kept getting XenVbd errors and resets in the event logs causing video playback pauses, so I'm currently serving the video storage volume to the guest via iSCSI, which isn't exactly ideal. I'm hoping that I can just add in the RAID card and a couple disks and have native I/O, but I don't know if that is going to work. I'm mainly concerned that the card won't be properly initialized when the guest starts, or that there will be some sort of conflict with the LSI RAID card that the server is already using.

Does anyone have any experience in using a RAID card in this way? Any insights that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated as I haven't yet decided whether I will buy the card or not.

Thank you.