[Xen-users] Intercept RDTSC in HVM Guest VM

  • To: "" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "QI Wen" <qiwen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 14:35:25 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 06:36:43 +0000

Hi, all,

I want to do some experiments by adding noise to the RDTSC of Guest VMs.

For  HVM mode, I modified the code in hvm_rdtsc_intercept() as well as adding the printk log.

I tested the modification by running a test program in the HVM Guest. The test program just run the folling code:

  1. __asm__ __volatile__
  3.          "rdtsc":"=a"(lo),"=d"(hi)

However, I found that the function hvm_rdtsc_intercept() has not been called because there is no printk
 log I added, when I execute "xl dmesg".

For HVM mode, is it correct to modify hvm_rdtsc_intercept() ?

Any suggestion about intercept the RDTSC instruction in Guest VM? Thanks very much.

Regards
QI