Re: [Xen-users] Successful Xen VGA Passthrough with Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6450 Display Card

On 2014-09-05 21:00:55 Gordan Bobic wrote:

> On 09/05/2014 08:46 PM, Teo En Ming wrote:
> > Dear Gordan,
> >
> > I don't know. I don't reboot Windows 8 HVM domU. I always do a proper
> > shutdown of Windows 8 HVM domU, then followed by an attempt to start it
> > by using the command "sudo xl create /etc/xen/win8.cfg".
>
> And repeatedly shutting down and starting up the domU without rebooting
> dom0 inbetween works fine, with no performance degradation in the domU?

Just FYI:

I set up a win2008 R2 64bit with a sapphire radeon 6450 just last week.
I had no luck with a gentoo-distributed Xen 4.4 (error 12 - not enough
resources) and so switched to 4.5-unstable (git mainline).

There it works fine with just this one glitch:
You have to "eject" the GPU in windows before rebooting the domU, or you will
get said degraded performance (which looks like the GPU always stays on base
clock rate).

Otherwise it seems stable so far. "Ejecting" the GPU can even be done later if
I forget it once, and at the next reboot everything is fine again.

I am NOT using qemu-xen-traditional btw!

- peter.