Re: [Xen-users] Balloon driver set up failure

On Thu, 2014-09-25 at 18:45 +0530, Charles wrote:
> > Did you mount xenfs on /proc/xen?
>
> No.  I added it to fstab and rebooted.  Still no /proc/xen/balloon (only
> capabilities, privcmd and xenbus).

Ah, that's right I'd forgotten -- with modern pvops kernels this has
moved under /sys somewhere. /sys/devices/system/xen_memory/ perhaps?

Note that even if CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON is disabled and the control node is
not present the balloon core is still active and available via the host
interfaces, the config option only controls the guest admin visible
interface.

> > It looks like the balloon core is there and running (you have ~128M
> > free, less some normal overheads, which is expected). You haven't asked
> > the balloon driver to change that (e.g. with xl mem-set) so it won't
> > have done anything.
>
> The total memory is ~128M, not the free.

Ballooning is weird in that way: it really changes the apparent total
memory, not the free memory.

Have you actually tried decreasing/increasing the memory with xl
mem-set? What happens?

Ian.