Re: [Xen-users] Xen HowTo

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: merc1984@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:27:47 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 22:28:25 +0000

> What's busted ?
> I don't recall any particular problems last time I setup a new server - I
> run several at work and one at home (all Debian).

There are several fixes and workarounds I detail, which absolutely
tripped me up for days.  I'm trying to save others the misery.

> Didn't read far, but I couldn't help wondering why you insisted on making
> life difficult for yourself. Why encrypt partitions - you are putting the
> key needed to decrypt them on the same disk, so anyone who has access to
> the hardware has the keys to access the encrypted partitions. After that
> I stopped reading.

Like I say, there are a hundred ways to do this, and encryption is
optional of course.

Apparently you didn't pick up that the key file for sd?4 is on sd?2,
which is itself encrypted and can't be unlocked until the luks password
is entered.  The key file for sd?4 is encrypted until sd?2 is unlocked
with the password.