Re: [Xen-users] repeated DomU volume corruption

On 11/24/2014 10:09 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-11-23 at 21:04 -0600, Robert Rust wrote:
>> I'm having headaches with DomU volume corruption.  It isn't tied to
>> any particular DomU, and I have never had it occur in the Dom0 (which
>> is on the same disk) nor did it happen in the nearly 1 year that I was
>> running on bare metal using the same drive.  Last fall I even replaced
>> the drive to try and resolve the problem, since it has plagued me
>> every time I've tried Xen.  If it matters, the most recent error (this
>> morning) was as follows (and it occurred in 2 of my DomUs) :
>> EXT4-fs error (device xvda2): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:756: group 66,
>> 7224 clusters in bitmap, 7216 in gd; block bitmap corrupt.
>
> Are you manually configuring anything to do with barriers, either to
> enable or disable them? I think with modern kernels this is all supposed
> to Just Work. I ask because AFAIK ext4 (and journalling filesystems) are
> pretty sensitive to having this be working right, i.e. things being on
> the disk when they've been told they are.
>
> What is your storage backend configuration like in dom0? i.e. are your
> guest disks on LVM volumes, raw files, qcow2, loopback mounts etc.
>
> What does your guest cfg file look like?
>
> Does the corruption correspond with anything interesting occurring? Like
> rebooting the domU etc?
>
> Have you run memtest on the system? (bit of a long shot...)
>
>> current setup:
>> OS: Ubuntu server 14.04.1 64-bit
>> kernel: 3.14.4-031404-generic
>
> Is this in dom0, domU or both?
>
>>    (for ATI radeon driver support I was experimenting with)
>
> Is this the Free radeon driver? (rather than the proprietary/binary only
> thing).
>
> Ian.

I had an issue similar in nature, which manifested as a missing partition table
after a domU reboot, mounting the xvda{x} partitions with the "nobarrier" mount
option resolved it. The issue was observed on xfs and ext4 filesystems.

Hope this helps.

Steve