Re: [Xen-users] Fw: RLE Compression

If I understand what you are asking for then this is documented as the
-s option to xl migration in the xl(1) man page, which allows you to
shell out to a script to establish the connection the remote host
instead of calling ssh. The script has to arrange to pipe its stdin to
the stdin of a remote "xl migrate-receive" process on the other end, it
can do whatever transforms it likes so long as it undoes them on the
other end.

(If what you are asking is how can you use migrate.py from xl migrate
then this isn't possible, you will need to reimplement that
functionality in C as part of the library.)

However as I said previously this is only really a bodge, the right way
to go about adding compression to migration is to patch libxc and/or
libxl to do so. There is already some compression as part of the Remus
feature, I don't know how reusable that will be for what you want
though.

Note that during Xen 4.6 the existing migration code in libxc is to be
replaced by a new version (look for Andrew Cooper's postings of
"migration v2" on the xen-devel list over the last 6 months or so). This
new code base should be much easier to add features to and in any case
effort expended on the existing code base is quite likely to go to waste
when we switch over.

If you are interested in developing this feature then you would be best
to consult the devel list not the users list, but please do read
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Asking_Xen_Devel_Questions first.

Ian.