[Xen-users] vga passthrough with amd radeon r9 285

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Brian Paterni <bpaterni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 14:00:57 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 13:10:20 +0000

Hi all,

I'm trying to passthrough an AMD Radeon R9 285 to a windows 7 domu, but
so far have had no luck.

dom0 is debian unstable (linux 3.16 + xen 4.4.1). Though I've found that
with the qemu-traditional device model removed [1], gfx_passthru is
currently not possible with debian-provided packages (?)

1: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=776742

As a result, I'm begun to compile from source. Since the error message
I'm receiving mentions the kernel:

   The kernel doesn't support reset from sysfs for PCI device

I decided to start with the linux kernel and now have 3.19.0-rc6+
installed. However this does not fix the problem. I then checked out xen
from git master, but still, I'm met with the same error.

The r9 285 is a relatively new gpu. In fact, there currently is no FOSS
driver for it (amdgpu has yet to be released). Therefore, could the
non-working gfx_passthru be the result of missing bits in either linux
or xen that have yet to dropped in? Or am I just 'doing it wrong'.

Attached should be some more information I thought to include. Let me
know if you need anything else.