Re: [Xen-users] vga passthrough with amd radeon r9 285

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 15:41:15 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 15:41:22 +0000

On 2015-02-05 15:15, Brian Paterni wrote:
On 02/05/2015 07:38 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
Expect all the usual problems with ATI cards, such as
performance degradation and instability if you reboot
the domU.

Things seem to be running reasonable well in the short time since I've
had things working. If there is any performance degradation, it won't be
my main concern since I won't be using the windows domU for a whole lot
of intensive computation.

It's not just performance degradation, it also involves screen
corruption with horizontal white lines flickering across the screen.
This doesn't always manifest, but the difference is huge and obvious
just from dragging a window around the screen.

Interestingly though, I have not encountered any significant issues with
reboot! All of 1) restart from within windows 7 domU, 2) shutdown from
within windows 7 domU and reissue of 'xl create', and 3) soft reboot of
dom0 result in a functioning new instance of the windows domU.

Rebooting dom0 fixes the performance degradation problem (for one
domU boot with the GPU). But if it works for you without running
into the problem, be glad - it is very rare and may not last.