Re: [Xen-users] want to recover data from dom-U in a failed raid array

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jiri 'Ghormoon' Novak <ghormoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 07:02:09 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 05:03:12 +0000

Hi,
if pvm, likely you just can mount it.
if hvm, likely it has it's own MBR. either copy it out and run as domU or loopmout it with offset (first partition will likely be at 1MB, if there were more partitions you'll have to check where they start). I do this when I want to boot domU directly on the metal :)

Gh.

Dave Stevens wrote:
HI,

I have a failed raid-10 array that has now been reconstituted as raid-1 with the two remaining working drives. Originally the setup was Centos 5.10-Xen. There is no working boot process on this computer. From a live CD I can see the domains in the LVM volume and would like to make one of the dom-Us work so as to do data recovery. I have an idea that I might recreate a centos 5.10-xen setup on another computer then migrate the dom-U (a Centos guest) and recover data. Is this feasible? Are there instructions for this sort of migration/recovery of a domain? References?

Thanks,

Dave