Re: [Xen-users] Booting pv-ready distro installer.iso as Xen PV DomU drops to grub prompt?

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015, at 04:59 PM, Mark Pryor wrote:
> You have a hybrid config. To go pv do:
> to boot into a pv install, use these ./boot/x86_64/{initrd-xen,vmlinuz-xen}
>
> as kernel / ramdisk in the test.cfg. So copy the pair locally off the ISO.

IICU, for booting with pvgrub2 -- which is what I'm working towards -- that's
incorrect IIUC.

This

kernel = "/usr/lib/grub2/x86_64-xen/grub.xen"

is supposed to be sufficient.

> Also, why is there is no xvda device in disk={}? You need that to receive the
> install.

Sure.  I'll get there once I get this working.  1st step is just to get the
installer to boot as a 'live' session.

Starting with 'xl create -c  ...', at the grub prompt, if I enter

        grub> configfile (xen/hdc,msdos1)/efi/boot/grub.cfg

where

        cat /mnt/iso/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg
                with_gfx=1

                gfxmode=auto
                locale_dir=$prefix/locale
                lang=en_US

                search --no-floppy --file /boot/x86_64/efi --set
                prefix=($root)/boot/x86_64/grub2-efi

                insmod efi_gop
                insmod efi_uga
                insmod gzio
                insmod gettext

                color_normal=light-gray/black
                color_highlight=white/light-gray

                if [ "$with_gfx" = 1 ] ; then
                  insmod gfxterm
                  insmod gfxmenu
                  insmod png

                  terminal_output gfxterm

                  theme=$prefix/themes/openSUSE/theme.txt
                  export theme

                  loadfont $prefix/unicode.pf2
                  loadfont $prefix/themes/openSUSE/DejaVuSans10.pf2
                  loadfont $prefix/themes/openSUSE/DejaVuSans12.pf2
                  loadfont $prefix/themes/openSUSE/DejaVuSans-Bold14.pf2
                fi

                if sleep --interruptible 0 ; then
                  timeout=60
                fi

                menuentry 'Installation' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux
--class gnu --class os {
                  set gfxpayload=keep
                  echo 'Loading kernel ...'
                  linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent
                  echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                  initrdefi /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
                }

                menuentry 'Upgrade' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux --class
gnu --class os {
                  set gfxpayload=keep
                  echo 'Loading kernel ...'
                  linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent upgrade=1
                  echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                  initrdefi /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
                }

                menuentry 'Rescue System' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux
--class gnu {
                  set gfxpayload=keep
                  echo 'Loading kernel ...'
                  linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent rescue=1
                  echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                  initrdefi /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
                }

                menuentry 'Check Installation Media' --class opensuse --class
gnu-linux --class gnu {
                  set gfxpayload=keep
                  echo 'Loading kernel ...'
                  linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent mediacheck=1
                  echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                  initrdefi /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
                }

I DO get the grub menu

        GNU GRUB  version 2.02~beta2

         |*Installation
      |
         | Upgrade
      |
         | Rescue System
      |
         | Check Installation Media

But if I select/enter "Installation", it returns

        error: file `/boot/x86_64/grub2-efi/x86_64-xen/echo.mod' not found.
        error: can't find command `linuxefi'.
        error: file `/boot/x86_64/grub2-efi/x86_64-xen/echo.mod' not found.
        error: can't find command `initrdefi'.

In the iso

        find /mnt/iso | egrep -i "linuxefi|initrdefi|echo.mod"

there's none of those.

(1) How do I get the DomU config to recognize the configfile without forcing a
visit to the grub prompt?
(2) Not sure what to do about the missing linuxefi/initrdefi/echo.mod ...

LT