Re: [Xen-users] Booting pv-ready distro installer.iso as Xen PV DomU drops to grub prompt?

On 04/09/2015 06:01 PM, lyndat3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015, at 04:59 PM, Mark Pryor wrote:
>> You have a hybrid config. To go pv do:
>> to boot into a pv install, use these ./boot/x86_64/{initrd-xen,vmlinuz-xen}
>>
>> as kernel / ramdisk in the test.cfg. So copy the pair locally off the ISO.
>
> IICU, for booting with pvgrub2 -- which is what I'm working towards -- that's
> incorrect IIUC.
>
> This
>
> kernel = "/usr/lib/grub2/x86_64-xen/grub.xen"
>
> is supposed to be sufficient.

If you trust the opensuse installer enough to load it within the context of the
dom0, there is
nothing wrong with loading the installer kernel and ramdisk directly. You can
switch back to grub2
after the installation.

> But if I select/enter "Installation", it returns
>
>       error: file `/boot/x86_64/grub2-efi/x86_64-xen/echo.mod' not found.
>       error: can't find command `linuxefi'.
>       error: file `/boot/x86_64/grub2-efi/x86_64-xen/echo.mod' not found.
>       error: can't find command `initrdefi'.

EFI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface doesn't make
sense here.

Only the 'linux' and 'initrd' commands for loading are supported without extra
patches. Is there any
other grub.cfg on the iso?

> (1) How do I get the DomU config to recognize the configfile without forcing
> a visit to the grub prompt?
> (2) Not sure what to do about the missing linuxefi/initrdefi/echo.mod ...

Look at grub(2)-mkstandalone. It makes a ramdisk that includes a config file
(you should put it at
the default path for your grub build) and by default also includes all modules.
But that won't add
support for linuxefi and initrdefi because those aren't valid commands for xen.

--Sarah