[Xen-users] VGA passthrough: "invalid access size alignment" solution?

** Not on mailing list, please CC, thanks. **

Hey folks, I'm trying to pass through a Radeon R9 290X to Win7 and running into these infamous errors:

pt_pci_read_config: [00:05:0] Error: Failed to read register with invalid access size alignment. [Offset:0eh][Length:4]

I'm getting similar errors with both qemu-dm and qemu-xen-traditional. This is on Xen 4.4.2 and kernel 3.18.10.

Kelly -- I'm including you because AFAICT you're one of the most recent people to have worked on this (http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-04/msg01510.html) and potentially figured it out (http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters). The wiki claims you got it working on Xen 4.2 and kernel 3.4.9; can you say more about what's different in that config and whether you checked with any newer Xens/kernels?

Pointers from anyone else are welcome too, of course. Otherwise, I'll do my best to dig in and report any findings back to the group.

Thanks,
-Scott