Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthrough: "invalid access size alignment" solution?

Scott,

From my testing I was able to trace the request back to the Win 7 guest OS
request.  I don't know why the OS is making a 4 byte request on a 2 byte
boundary.  I did not dig any deeper than that.  From my testing it appeared
that the error message was a red-herring as it was not the root of my problem
and I can successfully pass through devices while still seeing these error
messages.

If anyone is interested in finding the root of the problem my suggestion would
be to continue where I left off.  You will have to 'hack' around a bit.  I used
Windbg in the Win7 guest and you can either use Xenctx or incorporate the same
API that Xenctx uses in QEMU to try and dump a stack trace when the error
occurs.  Once you have a stack trace you can reflect it back to actual
functions back in the Windbg session.  It gets a bit tricky if you pause the
guest because the Windbg session will also freeze.

I imagine that there must be some way of taking a 'snap-shot' of the guest when
the error occurs and debugging the snap-shot but I don't know how to do that.
If anyone can provide instructions on how to do that I would really love to
learn how to do it.

My problem was related to the VBios of the secondary adapter not being posted
properly.  When the adapter is set as the primary the VBios is posted by the
SBios.  On the other hand when the adapter is set as the secondary the adapter
relies on the video driver to post the VBios.  Make sure that you have up to
date video drivers to support your card.

Thanks,
Kelly