Re: [Xen-users] vfb size

On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 17:37 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 17:21 +0100, pietrop wrote:
> > > What do you mean by "configuring the vncserver manually on the guest"?
> >
> > I have installed the vncserver package and I have started it manually
> > configuring the desired geometry.
>
> Right, that's an aside to getting xenfb working then.
>
> > > vncserver and xenfb are two completely orthogonal things. If you are
> > > running vncserver in the guest then that is what you must configure,
> > > xenfb settings have no impact on it.
> > >
> > > xenfb corresponds /dev/fb0 in the guest surfaced via a vnc provider
> > > (often qemu), there is no vncserver in the guest associated with xenfb.
> > >

> > I did not know that, I'd rather prefer to go with xenfb but I am not
> > getting the desired resolution with it, how can I do that ?
>
> What sort of guest is this? PV or HVM?

Following the link :

http://serverfault.com/questions/511923/determine-which-guest-is-running-on-xen-hvm-or-pv-guest

> Can you post your config file and your in guest dmesg please as well as
> any related log files from under /var/log/xen (in particular the qemu
> one).

This is my configuration file :

#
# Configuration file for the Xen instance pietrop-debian64, created
# by xen-tools 4.5 on Fri May 29 15:12:07 2015.
#

#
#  Kernel + memory size
#
kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64'
extra       = 'xen-fbfront.video=16,1024,768'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64'

vcpus       = '4'
memory      = '2048'

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
root        = '/dev/xvda2 ro'
disk        = [
                  'phy:/dev/vg1/pietrop-debian64-disk,xvda2,w',
                  'phy:/dev/vg1/pietrop-debian64-swap,xvda1,w',
              ]

#
#  Physical volumes
#

#
#  Hostname
#
name        = 'pietrop-debian64RfL'

#
#  Networking
#
dhcp        = 'dhcp'
vif         = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:A1:96:3F' ]

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

vfb = [ 'type=vnc' ]
stdvga=1
videoram=16

You can find the dmesg and var/log/xen/* logs file as attachment of this
email, I have made an effort in grabbing the latest logs from there
since there are quite a few files in there.

> Lastly, is xen-fbfront a module or statically configured?

I am not sure about that, kernel config file attached; nevertheless what
would it be the right CONFIG line to look at ?

Thanks,
Pietro.