Re: [Xen-users] Where can I find a USB debug cable?

On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 19:45 +0200, Manfred Haertel, DB3HM wrote:
> I would like to use the Xen serial console, but on a computer which does
> not have a serial device.
>
> So I have to use the so-called USB debugging port (console=dbgp). The
> USB controller in my system seems to support this.
>
> But where do I find an USB cable to connect my computer to another one
> via USB?
>
> Most documentations refer to a small device called NET20DC, to which you
> can connect both computers via USB. Unfortunately, this device doesn't
> seem to be available anymore.

Indeed, a while back I searched long and hard for such a thing and
didn't come up with anything, I concluded that they were either
fictional, ancient and unavailable or something one needed to build for
oneself with a soldering iron :-/

I just had another look and things seem more promising, the "Net chip
USB debug link" in
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/earlyprintk.txt remains
dead but I found https://github.com/avivgr/teensy_debugdev and
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2010/10/25/setting-up-kernel-debugging-with-usb-2-0.aspx

Which lead me to google "usb debug cable" and find things such as:
http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-3-0-super-speed-a-a-debugging-cable.html
and a bunch of ones which don't look right (mostly extension cables or
TTL/serial on one end).

I have no idea if that datapro thing is actually the right thing, but it
looks promising...

> Is there another device, which is still available and is known to work?

Depending on your platform it might have AMT or some other
serial-over-LAN capability?

Ian.