[Xen-users] [Xen-Users] Issues with root NFS on Dom0

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brandon Perez <a0225893@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 19:24:30 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 00:25:25 +0000

Hello All,

    Here's a quick overview of my setup:
    - Hardware: TI DRA72 Chip, Arm Cortex A15
    - Xen:
        - Version: 4.6-unstable
        - Compiled from source, with some local changes
        - Branch: master
        - Commit: ecdae1cfaa7f6123decaa1b9d7205c3ff726b941
        - Repo URL: git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git
    - Linux Kernel:
        - Version: 3.14
        - Compiled From source, with some local changes
        - Branch: android-3.14-6AL.1.0
        - Commit: 7b2f1133857414b96927c06f08ed6c440f5472e7
        - Repo URL: git://git.omapzoom.org/kernel/omap.git

I'm attempting to get an root NFS boot working with a Linux Dom0. The boot works, but is horrendously slow. A /bin/sh boot takes several minutes, and an init boot takes hours (I gave up on init after 20 minutes). For comparison, a boot from an SD card takes about 15 seconds. Also, with a native Linux root NFS boot, the total boot time is about 25 seconds, so the issue seems to be related with Xen or my Xen configuration.

I haven't done a lot of debugging yet, so I don't have much additional information. Before I go deep into debugging this, I was wondering if this is an issue you guys have heard of before. Also, I was wondering if there was any immediate things you can think of that might be causing this problem.

One thing I have quickly looked over is /proc/interrupts. For a native boot, there are several hundred ethernet transmit interrupts. On the Xen boot, there are several million transmit interrupts.

Thanks,

    Brandon Perez