Re: [Xen-users] Configuration file guest deleted

On 21 Jul 2015, at 14:08, pietrop <pulsarpietro@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've accidentally deleted the configuration file of my guest during a
> clean up, fortunately I am still able to restore and save the guest I
> was running but I'd like to regenerate the configuration file in order
> to shut it down and create it again when needed.
>
> Apparently I can generate a new config file running the command 'xl list
> -l <domainid>' but that command results in a file format - phyton ? -
> which is not recognized by the xl tool.
>
> I am running Xen 4.4.1 on a Debian 64 bits disto.
>
> Any tips ?

Hi Pietrop.

I’ve been fiddling with dumping xml configs from a running Xen PV guest.

Is this any help at all?

From:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-Managing_guests_with_virsh.html

Creating a virtual machine XML dump (configuration file)

Output a guest's XML configuration file with virsh:

# virsh dumpxml {domain-id, domain-name or domain-uuid}

This command outputs the guest's XML configuration file to standard out
(stdout).

You can save the data by piping the output to a file.

An example of piping the output to a file called guest.xml:

# virsh dumpxml GuestID > guest.xml

This file guest.xml can recreate the guest (see Editing a guest's configuration
file).
You can edit this XML configuration file to configure additional devices
or to deploy additional guests. See Section 34.1, “Using XML configuration
files with virsh”
for more information on modifying files created with virsh dumpxml.