Re: [Xen-users] Failed BIOS Lock - Windows 2012 R2 Foundation ROK HP

On Tue, 2015-08-11 at 14:40 -0300, Marcos Renato da Silva Junior wrote:
> Yes.
>
> HP Proliant ML350 gen9

Thanks, I needed to confirm before explaining how you might get it to work.

> Debian Jessie
>
> OK. But apparently the settings must be made on the servers :
>
> 51. Why do I get a âsystem not supportedâ message when trying to install
> HP OEM Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server
> 2012 R2 media on top of Microsoft Hyper-V when it is running on a
> non-HP-branded host OS?
>
> The necessary manufacturer strings have not been inserted into the
> Hyper-V product to allow the installation of HP-branded media.
[...]
> 56. Can you use Citrix XenServer with an HP OEM license for Windows
> Server?

So as this suggests you need to propagate some BIOS tables from the
platform into the guest, I believe the relevant ones are SMBIOS tables.

The xl toolstack doesn't make this as easy as xapi (used by XenServer) and
I'm not 100% sure of the details but I think you need to use the
smbios_firmware string in your guest cfg to a file containing the
extra/override tables which you want added to the guest (the file is in
binary format I believe).

I'm afraid I don't know which specific tables you need (although the
xl.cfg(5) man page lists which ones you can override -- which is probably a
good indication which ones you might need to override), nor how one goes
about "compiling" them, maybe dmidecode can help with some of it? e.g.
"dmidecode --dump-bin smbiosNN.bin --type NN" looks like it should dump
table NN to a binary, then perhaps you can concatenate all the smbiosNN.bin
files you need into the thing you give xl. This is all speculation though,
sorry.

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg01850.html might be
of interest, not sure.

If you do manage to figure this out then it would be super awesome if you
could document it for the wiki.

Ian.