[Xen-users] Installing Xen on a MacBook Pro

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Carl Patenaude Poulin <carlpaten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:39:57 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 13:32:46 +0000

Hello,

I'm an undergraduate student working on my senior project. I'm
writing a unikernel targeting Xen. The only machine I own/have write
access to is a MacBook Pro, and I'd like to install Xen on it.

I've been trying to get Xen to run on my machine for days, with no
luck so far.
1. As far as I know, running OS X as Dom0 is impossible.
2. Dual-booting OS X and Ubuntu Server works, but after installing
the xen-hypervisor-amd64 package, Ubuntu Server stops booting.
3. Idem with running Ubuntu Server + Xen inside a VirtualBox VM.

I thought point 2 was my best option. I believe that the problem
with it is with the built-in OS X boot loader ("Startup Manager").

Does anyone here have experience with this? I'd rather not shell out
for a server and have to deal with the added responsibility of
administrating it.

Thanks in advance,

Carl Patenaude Poulin
McGill University