Re: [Xen-users] Installing Xen on a MacBook Pro

On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 14:39 -0400, Carl Patenaude Poulin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm an undergraduate student working on my senior project. I'm
> writing a unikernel targeting Xen. The only machine I own/have write
> access to is a MacBook Pro, and I'd like to install Xen on it.
>
> I've been trying to get Xen to run on my machine for days, with no
> luck so far.
> 1. As far as I know, running OS X as Dom0 is impossible.

Correct.

> 2. Dual-booting OS X and Ubuntu Server works, but after installing
> the xen-hypervisor-amd64 package, Ubuntu Server stops booting.
> 3. Idem with running Ubuntu Server + Xen inside a VirtualBox VM.
>
> I thought point 2 was my best option. I believe that the problem
> with it is with the built-in OS X boot loader ("Startup Manager").

Do macbooks use EFI firmware?

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI might be a way forward for #2 if
so.

If virtual box also uses EFI then the same might apply to #3, or maybe
there is some sort of "legacy boot" option in VB which will put the VM into
BIOS mode?

> Does anyone here have experience with this?

I don't own any mac hardware, but googling for "xen on macbook" come up
with a bunch of interesting looking links.

Ian.