From: "Ian Campbell" <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Shaun Reitan" <shaun.reitan@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Sarah Newman" <srn@xxxxxxxxx>; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 9/11/2015 12:24:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] GRUB2 randomly works on some hosts but not others?

On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 19:25 +0000, Shaun Reitan wrote:
I'm starting to think this may be memory related. I've tested this on a couple hosts with less than 32GB of RAM in them and grub2 seams to work
 on them.  Anything with 32 or more GB seams to fail... least so far.

That's a pretty plausible sounding hypothesis.

One way to confirm might be to boot one of the larger machines with
"mem=32G" on the hypervisor's command line to restrict the host to 32G
and see if grub suddenly starts working there or if the problem is at
32G or greater perhaps try 16G then 31G.

Ian.