Re: [Xen-users] XEN 4.4 Freezes after long period of inactivity

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:57:52 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:58:17 +0000

Am Montag, 14. September 2015, 12:24:47 schrieb pietrop:
> Well .. I actually I have no idea about which files is the right file to
> look at for these king of issues in the /var/log/xen/ folder, I see a
> lot of files having the VMs' name and a couple of qemu-* and booloader*,
> which one should be report something ?

In /var/log/xen there are usually logs related to DomU work - i would check
first Xen HV and Dom0 (kernel) related log output (like on any linux system).

Depending from your setup they might be part of your system log files or to
find under

/var/log or
/var/log/xen*

i.e.:
/var/log/messages
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/dmesg

dmesg

Risk a look into the DomU logs might be help too...

But if your system "dies" directly before it can write anything about the
error/problem onto a disk, a serial console is the only option i see...

> Nevertheless if you have a quick tip to give to me to DISABLE such
> optimization please let me know, I will give them a quick try this
> weekend.
This is part of your hardware and hardly depends on it. Look for something
like "APM" (advanced power management"), "power management" or "eco mode" (go
to "full performance" or "no power saving" or similiar in BIOS, iLo, iDRAC or
whatever your hardware platform offers here.

if an apmd is running:

/etc/init.d/apmd stop

In your Dom0 make shure that there is nothing like a "suspend" or "hibernate"
mode / service or similiar active (depends from your distribution). I can give
you just some "words" here to possibly look for deeper...

If you have some service which plays around with CPU performance levels,
disable it too (upower, cpupower and similiar) - make little sense on such a
system.

Personally i'm disable anything during my own kernel build for Dom0 and DomU
which isn't required on that installation to be sure it isn't in the way. But
this is not everybodies first option Ã)...

hth a bit,

Niels.

--
 ---