Re: [Xen-users] Xen installation on Ubuntu

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:54:58 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 08:55:13 +0000

Am Montag, 21. September 2015, 09:37:37 schrieb Ian Campbell:
> > I also tried booting Xen over EFI, without GRUB intervening. I moved
> > the xen-*.efi file from /boot to /boot/efi/EFI/xen. Unfortunately,
> > there wasn't a xen-*.cfg config file around, and writing one from
> > scratch seems WAAAY above my skill level.

I'm a  MacBookPro User too and i've used Xen (dual boot) a while ago on it,
while using Gentoo Linux dual boot over bootcamp / EFI / grub2. Booting
without grub was/is not working for me.

The most "difficult" thing is to set up grub2 EFI boot by hand (may be that
Ubuntu have some tool / feature for that in the installer). I used grub 1 with
rEfind before, but this is not longer working with newer Mac OS X in dual
boot. I just get a black screen. So i had to switch over to grub2 in EFI mode.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset agp=off video=efifb"

There are several HOWTOs around in the web for most Mac Book models. You
should follow them and when your linux is booting, you should can "switch"
over to xen by grub2.

hth a bit,

Niels.

--