Re: [Xen-users] what hypercalls are supported in user-level HVM guests?

On Wed, 2015-09-23 at 10:01 +0800, Big Strong wrote:
> Hi, again. I've checked the hvm_hypercall_table in xen/arch/x86/hvm/hvm.c
> and find only 14 hypercalls available to HVM guests, much more less than
> than defined in xen/include/public/Xen.h. Here is the problem, what if I
> need a nested Xen installed in a HVM guest? Would the nested Xen only
> capable of issuing HVM hypercalls?

Yes, to the L0 hypervisor an L1 Xen is an unmodified OS, not a
paravirtualised one (unless you were to port Xen to its own PV interfaces,
which would be a large and mostly pointless exercise).

But an L1 Xen should have no need of any of the L0 PV hypercalls in order
to offer PV hypercalls to its own L2 guests. Remember it is the L1 Xen
which is responsible for implementing those hypercalls for L2 guests, it is
not the L0's responsibility.

Ian.