Re: [Xen-users] [xen4.4] DomU Windows server HVM with xen-tools xl create

On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 10:03 +0200, estebann@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I posted a question in Xen Project Q&A Forum. My CPU support HVM. I tried
> to create a Ubuntu HVM DomU with "xl create" but with no success. My
> ultimate goal is to virtualize a Windows 2008 test server.
>
> This is my current Ubuntu DomU configuration :
> root@lnj-ubu64:/home/lnj# cat /etc/xen/xen-domu-ubuntu.cfg
> builder = "hvm"
> name = "xen-domu-ubuntu"
> memory = "1024"
> vcpus = 1
> vif = ['']
> disk = ['phy:/dev/vg0/xen-domu-ubuntu,xvda,w', 'file:/data/ISO/ubuntu
> -14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso,xvdd:cdrom,r']
> acpi = 1
> device_model_version = 'qemu-xen'
> boot = "dc"
> sdl = 0
> serial = 'pty'
> vnc = 1
> vncconsole = 1
> vnclisten = ""
> vncpassword = ""
> # disk line : xvda I am pretty sure, but xvdd I am not sure (how to know
> embedded device names ?)

Your disk line looks ok to me, but I'm not sure what you are concerned
about here.

> "xl create" creation seems OK, "xl list" shows that VM is up, but when I
> try to access from terminal (xl console), nothing is displayed and I am
> forced to leave it.

"xl console" gets you access to the virtual serial device. I don't think
Windows would attach anything to that at least not by default.

Try connecting to the VNC and you should see the Windows GUI.

Looks like you can launch that automatically (subject to a suitable
vncclient being installed) using the -V option to xl create. Otherwise "xl
vncviewer <dom>" instead of xl console should work.

Ian.