Re: [Xen-users] pvgrub2 launch of Xen 4.5.1 DomU just drops to grub2 prompt ?

On Sat, 2015-10-17 at 12:33 -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> I'm running a Xen 4.5.1 Dom0
>
>       xl info | egrep "release|machine|xen_version"
>               release                : 4.2.3-3.g9c478b9-xen
>               machine                : x86_64
>               xen_version            : 4.5.1_10-389
>
> on Opensuse host
>
>       lsb_release -rd
>               Release:        13.2
>
> I'm revisiting booting a DomU using pvgrub2 (instead of usual 'pygrub')
>
> Piecing together info & procedures from
>
>       http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/PvGrub2
>       https://blog.xenproject.org/2015/01/07/using-grub-2-as-a-bootloader
> -for-xen-pv-guests/
>
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2015-04/msg00046.html
>       http://www.hellion.org.uk/blog/posts/debian-pvgrub2/
>       https://tech.mendix.com/linux/2014/09/06/pvgrub2/
>
> I create a standalone pvgrub2 binary
>
>       cd /home/tmp/pvgrub2
>       mkdir -p boot/grub2
>
>       cat boot/grub2/grub-xen-pvgrub2.cfg
>               search -s root -f /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>               configfile /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
>       cat boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>               root='(xen/xvda)'
>               configfile /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Where does this file end up? Is it a file within the guest filesystem? The
runes here suggest it is part of the host, which doesn't seem right.

Once you have started grub in the guest then all of the referenced files
need to either be in the guest file system or in a memdisk which you have
built into the grub image.

Remember, Grub cannot see anything in the dom0 filesystem.

I'd suggest exploring what grub can see from the grub prompt using ls on
each device etc and try executing variants on the commands which you are
embedding as above directly to experiment and find the correct set of
things to do.

Also, what does grub.cfg within the guest contain?

Ian.