Re: [Xen-users] Programmatic administration of Xen machines

Am 26.12.15 um 22:18 schrieb Carl Patenaude Poulin:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to programmatically administer Xen machines. Ideally, I'd
> need some sort of API or command-line tool that I can use to check
> if a domain is paused, collect console output, etc. I started by
> using xl, but the output it produces generally isn't suitable for
> machine consumption.
>
> I'm wondering what solution you'd suggest. My first intuition is to
> use virsh, is that a good idea?

Actually, I find virsh a bad idea since its support for the new xl
interface isn't feature complete as the old xm interface was. I had to
realize this the hard way when my virsh based python tools didn't work
as expected after upgrading from xm to xl.

I'd suggest using the xc and xenstore lowlevel interfaces directly via C
or Python. xc and xenstore will give you access to everything that xl
does (except for VM creation from a file and migration; both are
implemented in xl)

Regards
Andreas