Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough of iwlwifi adapter into Windows HVM failed to start

Quoting "John Mok" <a9121431@xxxxxxxxx>:

From what I understand, some devices can't be reinitialized (and won't work) by the DomU driver after they've already been initialized on >the Dom0. Blacklisting the module should prevent it from being initialized before being passed through to the DomU.

The driver iwlwifi was compiled as a module and I can see it using
lsmod. The module has been preceeded by the xen-pciback, such that the
xen-pciback is loaded first, and I use the command, xl
pci-assignable-list, and the WiFi PCI device, i.e. 0030:00.0, appears.

Even if xen-pciback is loaded first, iwlwifi is probably still binding to and initializing the card until pci-assignable-add rebinds it to xen-pciback. The problem being that iwlwifi might not properly de-initialize the card when it is unloaded. You can check what driver is currently bound to the card with `lspci -v`. If you blacklist iwlwifi on the Dom0, the card's state should be unmodified when it is passed to the DomU. It's a long shot, but it might be worth trying.

Also, have you tried passing the card to a Linux HVM? At this point, we don't know if the problem is with the Windows equivalent of xen-pcifront (or the emulated PCI bus; I'm not sure how PCI passthrough works on HVMs exactly), or the hypervisor or xen-pciback. Trying some different DomUs might help us identify a pattern.

If that doesn't work, it's worth reading this page in full: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough and mentioning your distro, >Xen version, and hardware (e.g. whether you have an IOMMU or not).

In Xen 4.0.x, I succeeded to pass through LSI SAS controller to
Windows HVM. I had read through
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough, and the hardware
ThinkPad x250 has VT-d support in BIOS.

Any idea why the driver in Windows HVM could not start?

Thanks a lot.

John Mok