Re: [Xen-users] VLAN guest networking: near 100% packet loss

Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In your naming scheme peth* are what would be default be eth* (e.g. pethint
> might have been eth0 at some point) and eth* are the names of your bridge
> devices? (Just to help Pavan translate, it's also how sme older versions of
> Xen did things by default)

Ah yes, I use udev rules (/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules on Debian
Wheezy*) to set the physical interfaces to peth<something> and then name my
bridges eth<something>. Eg :
# PCI device 0x14e4:0x165b (tg3)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="b4:99:ba:xx:xx:xx", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1",
KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="peth0"

I also use names rather than numbers (eg ethlan rather than eth2) as it makes
it much easier keeping track of what's connected to where when there are
multiple networks involved.

* Given that Debian have given in to having the system bastardised, I've no
idea what it may or may not be called in Debian Jessie or what hoops you may
have to jump through to keep "meaningful" device names.