Re: [Xen-users] status of guest/DomU UEFI + Grub support in Xen 4.6.1?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 08:33:18AM -0800, suse.dev@xxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 08:15 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> > Do you have bios='ovmf' in your guest config file? It seems that the
> > guest is booting with legacy bios (seabios).
>
> Nope.  Wasn't even aware yet that it was needed (did I miss the doc?).  I'd
> switched from rombios -> seabios when I learned THAT was causing problems.
>
> SHOULD it be bios=ovmf
>
> ?

I think it should be bios="ovmf" (quoted). Double or single quote
shouldn't matter).

See man xl.cfg.

> > Furthermore nvram isn't supported at the moment, so your modification will
> > be
> > lost. What we do in our test system is to place grubx64 efi into a known
> > location so that it always gets picked up by OVMF.
>
> What's considered a 'well known location'?
>
> Somewhere under the ESP, here == /boot/efi?
>
> I'd expect the location loaded by `bootctl` to be among those well-known
> locations?

In our test system:

   cp /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

(I've never used bootctl myself.)

> > If you don't require any specific functionality provided by UEFI, it's
> > better to just use legacy bios. OVMF needs more work to make it work out
> > of the box.
>
> I'm chasing 'legacy-free' & consistency.
>
> All our hardware is now EFI, all OSs -- host & guest -- are systemd based,
> all disks are GPT, all setup/install scripts use parted.
>
> I'd ideally prefer to not have to continue to have legacy bios/MBR anywhere
> in the mix.

Fair enough.

> But if we have to, we have to.  My hope is that UEFI guests' support is, at
> least, in-plan.

Currently we make sure it boots. Full support needs more work.

> Fwiw, currently, my cfg is
>
> -------------------
> name = 'arch'
> builder = 'hvm'
> xen_platform_pci = 1
> device_model_version="qemu-xen"
> boot = 'cd'
> hdtype = 'ahci'
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG0/tEFI,xvda,w',
>          'phy:/dev/VG0/tBOOT,xvde,w',
>          'phy:/dev/VG0/tSWAP,xvdf,w',
>          'phy:/dev/VG0/tROOT,xvdg,w',
>        ]
> vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:10:01:01, model=e1000, bridge=br0, vifname=vif0',]
>
> acpi = 1
> apic = 1
> bios = 'seabios'

Yep. You specified seabios here. Change it to ovmf.

Wei.