Re: [Xen-users] Explanation about xenwatch

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016, Frederico Cerveira wrote:

> Hi,
> I am performing a research study and I need your explanation about something.
> In my Xen system if I do "ps -Af" I can see a kernelspace process called
> xenwatch.
>
> For example:
> $ ps -Af
> root        57     2  0 16:02 ?        00:00:00 [xenwatch]
>
> I would like to know what is the purpose of this process? What functionality
> it implements?
> I've tried searching the Internet but I was not able to find any good answer.

Hello,

This process is created here:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_xs.c#L968

And the code that it executes (xenwatch_thread) is here:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_xs.c#L806

It's a listener for xenstore events that executes the system specified
callbacks. You can find more information about xenstore watches here:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenBus

Roger.