Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough of SATA Controllers

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 01:42:06PM -0700, Thomas Garcia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup a driver domain, but I'm having problems with PCI
> passthrough (just of the disk controller; network devices passthrough
> fine). When I run "xl pci-assignable-add 00:1f.2" (00:1f.2 is my SATA
> controller), I get a series of I/O errors, followed by the filesystem being
> remounted as read-only. Then when I try to create the driver domain, I get
> a "failed to read config file" error. What is the proper way to create a
> disk driver domain? I'm using Debian Jessie for my Dom0 and DomUs, and I'm
> using pvgrub as a bootloader.

IMHO, it looks like the SATA controller that you are trying to passthrough
is already used by Dom0?

The Debian documentation is not very clear [0], so I can't tell you the
exact runes that you need to use, but I would look into using the
xen-pciback.hide kernel command line in order to hide the devices on boot
rather than at run time. So you will have to add:

xen-pciback.hide=(00:1f.2)

To your kernel commnad line. Also note that [0] mentions that you might need
to rebuild your initramfs depending on your kernel/Debian version.

Roger.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Other_configuration_tweaks