Re: [Xen-users] Debian 8.4, EFI, and systemd = Tricky

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:51 AM, Paul Daniels <walkabout.pd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile xen for uefi booting.
> xen-4.6.1 or later on the latest debian 8.4 with systemd.
>
> My problem is that it hangs when trying so init systemd on dom0
>

> This goes on my new work laptop.
> ( I use it PXE booting PC's for imaging and repairs)
> The whole setup is quite a bit different from what Ive had before.
>
> efi as been a pain in the arse, but it appears to be working.  I can boot
> into debian ok, as one of the efi menu options.  (this then goes through
> grub2)
>
> I've setup another efi option that uses the xen.cfg file to boot up xen.efi.
> The initrd and kernel specified in dom0 are the same as used to successfuly
> boot into debian.
>
> Booting into xen I get through to the init-bottom script of debian and then
> it hangs. (powercycle required). Text still visible, cursor on screen just
> unresponsive.
>
> Setting an init option in the efi xen.cfg file kernel line can drop me to a
> shell
> at which point I can then mount xenfs, and do some basic xen commands.
>
> however if I do a xl list, the shell that it was run from then hangs, like
> above, and I cannot kill -9 the process.

xl list looks in xenstore; so if you haven't started the Xen services
(and you won't have if you're booting directly to a shell) then
xenstored won't be running.  So that part is expected.

> I think the issue is some odd interaction between systemd, efi and xen.

Have you successfully installed Xen on a system using classic BIOS
boot and systemd?

Other than that, it's hard to help you because there aren't any log
files or anything to look at.  Any chance you could hook up a serial
console[1] and give us the boot output?

The xen.cfg would be helpful too.

 -George

[1] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console