From: Mark Duggan <mark.duggan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, 15 April 2016 00:24
To: "wg-openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wg-openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Wg-openstack] HVM guest console log not being written to disk

In an openstack deployment, I'm unable to get my HVM guest to write to the console.log file on the host.
My Xen version is: 4.4.4OVM.  My xl version is: 4.1.12-32.

The console.log file is created under the instances path but is empty. As expected, this directory also contains
the "disk", "disk.info" and "libvirt.xml" files.  The instances are running and can be logged into.  I've
used both cirros and centos images with the vm_mode set to hvm.

Using virsh edit <instance> , I was able to modify the XMl definition as follow

from:
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>

to:
    <serial type='file'>
      <source path='/var/lib/nova/instances/cf28d1d5-5328-4a53-9fa6-ceabe34600e0/Myconsole.log'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='file'>
      <source path='/var/lib/nova/instances/cf28d1d5-5328-4a53-9fa6-ceabe34600e0/Myconsole.log'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>

This succeeded in getting the console log being written to disk, which was also picked up in Horizon.
However of course, it broke console access, tested using xl console <instance>.

I've experimented with changing VM definition to get both the console and console log working together
for a HVM instance but without success. I've also experimented with changing the grub kernel command line
within the guests.

For reference purposes I'm including the XMl from a PV guest definition, which has a working console/console log:

    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
        <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
        <target type='xen' port='0'/>
    </console>