Re: [Xen-users] Xen host guest bridging transparency issue

> What interface is p6p1 ? Seems to be a strange name for a network interface,
> these are normally eth0 or similar by default...

Welcome to the world according to Poettering (yes, he of SystemD 'fame').
Apparently it's far far too complicated to change Udev rules if an interface is
changed, instead we have to suffer interface names based on physical location -
so some of them can be quite long, and just moving an interface (eg to a
different slot or USB socket) will change it's identity.

I suspect some people have never worked on servers - where interface names
appear in many places (manual network config, firewall, scripts such as link
state and/or traffic monitoring, ...

> My guess, the dom0 is doing NAT on the incoming traffic, and sending it over
> xenbr1 or something like that...

That would be my guess as well.

One other thing for the OP - use of the network script to configure the bridges
is deprecated. Current advice is (and has been for quite some time) to set
network-script to "dummy" and configured the bridges in the host OS. Debian,
and it's derivatives, has had native support for bridge configuration in
/etc/network/interfaces for some time now. You just need a stanza like :

auto ethext
iface ethext inet static
        bridge_ports pethext
        address a.b.c.d
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway a.b.c.z
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_waitport 0
        bridge_fd 0

(note - I use Udev rules to rename the physical interfaces to things meaningful
like "pethext" for the outside interface and so on)

This stanza will bring up a bridge named ethext, bind the interface pethext to
it, and configure the specified address to the bridge. The last three lines
disable STP and set the forwarding time to 0 - so there's no delay between
adding an interface or bringing up a link and traffic flowing through it.