Re: [Xen-users] Server with 2 NICs. DomU as Router

If eth0 only gets one IPv4 address, then you'll have to setup forwarding (using sysctl, /etc/network/interfaces, systemd-networkd, or something else) and NAT (using iptables or nftables). Otherwise if you have IPv6 or multiple addresses, you can avoid probably avoid NAT altogether. Additionally if this is to act as a gateway to a private sub-network, other applications like DNSMasq, a DHCPd, BIND, radvd, etc. might also be helpful. For that matter, however, you might look into using a ready-to-go distro for your DomU, such as IPCop or pfSense (as long as it supports Xen DomU). I don't want to turn this into a "how to setup a linux router" tutorial, so I'll leave the full explanation to the Internet.

Moving onto your actual question, computers on the switch will always be able to ping each other, even if vif1/eth1 is not working. I suspect that forwarding is not enabled (sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward) in the DomU, or the firewall is misconfigured either in the DomU or the Dom0, but I can't say for sure without seeing it (iptables -t {nat,filter} -Lv). Try pinging the address of the router DomU from one of the computers on the switch, and see if (on the Dom0 and DomU) the RX packets number increases using ifconfig and which firewall rules are being hit using "iptables -Lv".

As an aside, personally I would opt for using the DomU as a driver domain in addition to being a router. If I understand correctly, as it is now, packets have to go from their source DomU or eth1, to the Dom0 (hardware driver), into the router DomU to be routed, then back to the Dom0 to be sent to the physical hardware and finally the internet. With a driver domain, packets originating from eth0 and eth1 will stay inside the router DomU and can be routed directly to the other interface without waking up the Dom0. You can also set the

vif = [ "...,backend=routerDomU" ]

option in your other DomUs to avoid waking up the Dom0 when packets routing packets to and from them. Driver domains are good for performance this way, and are good for security because the driver runs inside the less-privleged DomU instead of the Dom0 (and you can even air-gap the Dom0 completely if you wish). If you have an IOMMU/VT-d, the physical network card cannot access memory that does not belong to its own DomU even over DMA.

See
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Driver_Domain
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/DomU_Support_for_Xen