Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.6.0: Dom0 freezes at creation of HVM domain with activated IOMMU

On Mon, 9 May 2016 11:28:40 +0200
Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> I'm adding the AMD IOMMU maintainer.
>
> On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 06:06:57PM +0200, Rüdiger Otte wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after upgrading my AMD A8-6500 based system from Xen 4.4.1 to 4.6.0
> > I'm no longer able to start HVM domains with activated IOMMU. Trying
> > to create a HVM domain just let the whole system freeze.
> >
> > Probably this is a problem with broken firmware but I wonder if there
> > would be a way to work around this, since with 4.4.1 everything is
> > running fine even with PCI passthrough of Network, USB and VGA,
> > as long as I give ivrs_ioapic option to Xen commandline.
> >
> > Attached is the output of "xl dmesg" of 4.6.0 and 4.4.1. Because of
> > the immediate system freeze debug output of 4.6.0 is only to the
> > point where HVM domain would start.
> >
> > What I have tried so far:
> > - Disabling IOMMU in BIOS or Xen lets HVM domain start. It seems to
> >   lack graphical output but that's probably a different topic.
> > - Disabling CPU frequency scaling in BIOS or Xen just leads to the
> >   same failure.
> > - Disabling CPU C6 state in BIOS lets system reboot at HVM domain
> >   creation with Xen 4.4.1.
>
> Is there any chance that you could get the serial output of that box? Xen
> might print some messages before completely freezing, without that I think
> it's going to be quite hard to debug what's going on.

It took me some time to get all the equipment to connect the internal
serial connector of my mainboard to an usb port of a second computer.
Please see attachment for the output from Xen start to the failed hvm
domain creation.

Rüdiger